AGTS Alumni Perspective: Charlie Hungerford

Name: Charlie Hungerford

Graduation Year:  1994

Major: Master of Arts – Christian Education

Current Position:  Director of Admission, Evangel University

City and State: Springfield, Missouri

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I have worked in college admissions since 2004, helping students navigate the college admission and selection process. In my current position at the Springfield campus of Southwest Baptist University, I manage admissions for students who are focused on healthcare careers – nursing, imaging, and health care leadership and administration. The opportunity to guide students and help them find purpose and passion in their career interests have been my favorite part of the job.

What is your favorite memory from AGTS?

My time at AGTS goes back to when the school was part of the Assemblies of God headquarters complex. When I arrived at AGTS, I didn’t know anyone, but within a few class periods, I had friendships that made the difficult coursework manageable. The AGTS community was a pretty close-knit group and very welcoming to new students.

How did AGTS help you identify/develop your calling?

When I began at AGTS, I knew I wanted to work in education, but I thought it would be within a church. While that part of my plan never worked out like I thought it might, I’ve still been able to use my education from AGTS to fulfill what I believe is my purpose – to help people make a successful transition from where they are to the next step of their lives.

How did your experience at AGTS prepare you for life after graduation?

The connections I made and experiences I enjoyed while at AGTS provided me with a rich background, skill set, and ability to think critically – all things that have helped me tremendously in my post-AGTS life.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Be open to a path that isn’t necessarily what you planned or prepared for. If the first half of 2020 has taught us anything, it would be that our best-laid plans can be interrupted, disrupted, and changed. The ability to adapt to change is crucial.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from AGTS?

There are a few things I’d want from a new graduate:

1. Ability to see things from other perspectives, even if you don’t agree with that perspective. Recognize that your views and opinions are shaped by your experiences. I may have a different set of views/opinions, and that’s okay.
  2. Critical thinking cannot be over-emphasized. The problems or situations we encounter are rarely simple.
  3. Honesty, even when it’s painful.