EU Alumni Perspective: Ashley Crocker

Name: Ashley (Higgins) Crocker

Graduation Year: 2009

Major: Advertising/Public Relations

Current Position: Account Executive, TargetX

City and State: Greenville, SC

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

Immediately after graduating from Evangel, I went on the mission field for a year and thought I would stay there long term. I ended up coming home and working for that sending organization. Eventually the Lord led me into higher education. I think in large part due to my excellent experience, I have a real passion for college students and empowering institutions. I worked as a residence director and then a director of admissions. In 2017, I moved to the corporate side of higher education and have learned so much by being in a variety of different roles. I’m currently on a sales team at TargetX, managing the Southeast territory. We have technology solutions that help support the entire student life cycle from prospect to alumni. Evangel is a proud partner!

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

Oh man, I have so many! I have so many great memories from my time at Evangel. I fell in love with international travel and missions during my trips to Jamaica and Greece. My favorite memories are probably from serving as a resident assistant on W1S and all the fun, sweet moments that came in the normal day to day things. I also still think about Sunday evening roommate dinners with Alesha and Amy. We were able to do a lot with a crockpot!

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

It’s taken me a long time to find a job/career path that really feels like it fits me. I think the one thing Evangel helped me develop and has benefited me greatly is that my identity and calling are not defined just by the job I’m doing. My calling as a Christian is much greater than the job title on my business card and, ultimately, I’m called to love people and display Christ, no matter where I’m working or what I’m doing.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

My time at Evangel was incredibly formative for me and through so many experiences gave me a lot of confidence to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. Since graduation, I’ve traveled to 30+ countries, moved across the country by myself (twice!), and started various new jobs while building a successful career, great community, and blessed life. Without the formation I experienced during my time at Evangel, I never would have done any of those things!

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Say yes to every opportunity you get! I explored so many different things during my time at Evangel and took advantage of opportunities that came my way. This was beneficial for me in determining where I wanted to go but also helped early in my career because I had various experiences that helped me be very well-rounded and attractive to potential employers.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

When I have hired people, I always looked for character over skills. You can teach people about a new industry or a new job function. You cannot teach them to be hard-working, kind, passionate colleagues. Practice and hone your interview skills so your character and personality come through when you get in front of folks who are hiring.