EU Alumni Perspective: Celeste Cramer

Name: Celeste Cramer

Graduation Year: 2010

Major: Bachelors Business Administration

Current Position: System Director of Recruitment and Retention at CoxHealth

City and State: Springfield, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

My career progressed quickly after graduating from Evangel. It covered volunteer recruitment and social media management prior to transitioning to healthcare recruitment.

Now, I’m at CoxHealth and responsible for recruiting, retention initiatives, and leadership/workforce development. I work with a great recruitment team that is focused on finding innovative ways to address the current labor shortage. Our Center for Professionals team strives to develop talent internally and prepare our leaders for supporting our workforce.

CoxHealth is an incredible employer that is active in our community. Their focus on community support has enabled me to join the HOPE Foundation Board, Leadership Springfield Board, The Network Leadership Council, and several advisory committees.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

My favorite memory would have to be when I started the program and realized I had a chance to finish my degree. I was a working parent and could not find a bachelors program that supported my life. I was also a Chapter 35 VA benefit recipient, which meant I had a limited budget and needed to complete a program by the time I was 25. The degree completion program checked all the boxes I needed and more.

So I cannot say that I have a favorite memory that stood out more than the feeling of hope and excitement.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

The cohort approach helped me network with other working individuals from different industries. We all became extremely close. Being able to have exposure to situations others face and seeing how the degree applied to a wide variety of positions and industries helped me better understand what direction I wanted to go upon graduation.

It also taught me that your passion may overlap into your job, but it may not be the sole aspect of it.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Going through that phase of life reinforced perseverance. If I am faced with a challenging situation at work or at home, I just think back when I was 21 and going to college full-time while working full-time with two children under two. It was challenging, but I learned a lot and really grew during that phase of my life.

It also taught me to appreciate life and count my blessings now that things are more manageable.

I know that I couldn’t have done it without the creative approach Evangel has with the degree completion program. The work was hard, but they built the program to support working individuals.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Having a degree is extremely important, but is not a golden ticket to wealth and success. You still need to be willing to start at the bottom, roll up your sleeves, and work hard. A good attitude and strong work ethic go a long way.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

Someone that is humble, caring, and driven to help those around them succeed.