EU alumni perspective: Chris Bauman

Name: Chris Bauman

Graduation Year: 2018

Major: Doctorate in Educational Leadership

Current Position: Superintendent of Ozark School District

City and State: Ozark, Missouri

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I started teaching high school math in 1995 in Verona, Mo. In the fall of 1999, I moved to Ozark to start teaching junior high math. In 2006, I began my career in administration, starting as Assistant Principal at Ozark Junior High. Beginning the 2007 – 2008 school year, I became Principal of Upper Elementary at the 5 – 6 buildings. After serving 6 years at this building, I accepted the role of Executive Director of Operations for Ozark schools. Currently, as of July 1, 2018, I am serving as the Superintendent of Ozark schools. God has blessed me with a great career in Ozark. I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve the community in this fashion.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

The best part of the program for me was spending time with my cohort. All of these individuals helped me get through the program. I also enjoyed the summer classes as it was nice to attend class without the pressure of the Ozark students being in class as well.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling? 

The classes that were offered helped me to develop as an educational leader. The classes challenged conventional thinking and pushed me to improve my educational craft by promoting innovation in my approach to developing programs for students. 

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

This program and more specifically my dissertation work assisted me in achieving my lifelong goal of being the superintendent of the Ozark school district. The work I put into understanding hiring practices helps me develop a plan for my interview as the superintendent. My dissertation work helped me to understand how important it is to stay focused on the students. I kept this in mind as I worked on my five-year plan for Ozark school district.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce? 

Specifically to someone wanting to work in the education field; I would say make sure you show your passion for kids every day. Working as a teacher is extremely challenging and you must be able to ground yourself in the reason WHY you became an educator and make sure you remind yourself every day of that reason. 

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel? 

A person with a passion for kids and a desire to make a difference in the lives of their students.