be_ixf;ym_202404 d_24; ct_50

EU Alumni Perspective: Chris Lawson

Name: Chris Lawson

Graduation Year: 2006

Major: Elementary and Middle School Education

Current Position: Charleston Elementary School Principal

City and State: Derby, Vermont

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I have spent the last 14 years in education.  I taught middle school math to 6, 7, and 8th grade students.  I have been the principal of Charleston Elementary School for the past 4 years.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

Dorm life on L4S and the memories that were created with those men.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

Coming into Evangel, I knew I wanted to be an educator and impact the lives of children. During my time there, I learned more about my passion for middle school age kids. This is where I learned that education is all about relationships.  Continuing to show Christ through my kindness and love is the main mission through public schools.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Being from Vermont, this was the first time being away from my family and having to care for myself financially. This was a great learning curve but also, given all the support from EU as well as the support from others, this greatly impacted my understanding of the world.  Also, the EU experience allowed for my growth spiritually. EU chapel, L4S floor chapel, and involvement at James River and Central Assembly helped both me and my wife, Laura Lawson (EU ’06), grow spiritually into the leaders we have become.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Spend time networking and developing the soft skills that are needed in life.  Employers can teach the job, but it is much harder to teach people to be decent human beings.  Take time to listen to and work with others.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

I would look for someone who is willing to work hard and be involved in our school and community. Being in a classroom with kids is not enough to help them learn. Kids need to know that you care about them, and we need educators who are willing to put in the time and effort to meet the social and emotional needs of our learners.  I always tell our teachers that learning starts with relationships. If we are focused on relationships and intentional teaching, then we will serve our students and families well.