EU Alumni Perspective: Daniel Ogunyemi

Name: Daniel Ogunyemi

Graduation Year: 2018

Major: M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counseling

Current Position: Volunteer Coordinator for CASA of SWMO

City and State: Springfield, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I currently work as a Volunteer Coordinator with Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of SWMO in which I am responsible for supervising/supporting community volunteers and recruiting additional volunteers to advocate for children in foster care. I am also a huge community activist and am engaged with organizations such as the Leadership Council for The Network, Mayor’s Commission of Human Rights and Community Relations, and Chair of the Faith Subcommittee of the Child Abuse and Neglect Collaborative under Community Partnership of the Ozarks.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

My favorite memory is walking across the stage both at the hooding ceremony and at graduation. It was truly ONLY by the grace of God that I made it to that point. Of course, my class discussions (mainly in Ethics and Human Sexuality) were awesome as well.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

Evangel helped me understand that your calling extends far beyond the four walls of the church. God has given each of us specific gifts and passions that align with His biblical ordinances. Evangel taught me to trust in God’s plan and timing even though the outcome is vague. The skills, life lessons, and care that were embedded into me from my professors and courses have also encouraged me to be the servant I am today.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Evangel taught me the importance of prioritizing and sacrificing. My family, school, job, and church responsibilities all had to be continuously shuffled and I am grateful for the patience that was shown from all avenues. People not only paved the way for my success, but supported me through the journey while at Evangel. So it is important that I find ways to do the same for others. I had classmates and professors that did not have the same background or outlook on life as me so this also helped me maintain an open mind while continuing to show the love of Christ.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

I have 3 words of advice for current students:

• Keep God first… Period! Proverbs 3:5-6
  • Build good habits… Study habits, self-care habits, professional skills, being nice, remaining as objective/open-minded as possible, listening, having fun (the right way) and everything in between. It may be difficult, but remember college life is only a step to the future, not the end-all-be-all. So prepare for life after college with transferable habits.
  • Understand the importance of networking- building meaningful, lasting relationships with peers; respecting administration/professors and leaving a reputable legacy with them, the school, and on behalf of the ones you represent; being willing to LEARN; and try to understand the community your school is in (and seriously consider staying in Springfield )

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

Passion. Professionalism. Perseverance.