EU Alumni Perspective: David Kelly

Name: David Kelly

Graduation Year: ‘05, ‘12, ‘18

Major: Social Studies Secondary Education, Masters in Educational Leadership, Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, Curriculum & Instruction

Current Position: Principal Nixa High School

City and State: Nixa, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I am currently the principal at Nixa High School. Nixa is a growing community with just over 1,800 high school students. I came to Nixa in the fall of 2008 as a teacher and coach. The past six years, I served as assistant principal before taking the helm this year. We are a high performing school and continually seek ways to improve educational outcomes for all students.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

I loved my time at Evangel. I really value the relationships that I developed with fellow students as well as faculty. I also played baseball and made some of my favorite memories with my teammates.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

I transferred to Evangel from a public institution. At that time, I was not living for God. I was saved at an early age and attended church throughout my childhood. Up to this point, Christianity was my parent’s faith. But during my time at Evangel, I was able to adopt my own faith with help from a few professors and friends. The maturing of my faith was central to my understanding and the development of God’s calling for me. During this time, I changed my major to Social Studies, Secondary Education. I have always felt that public education is my calling and I firmly believe there is a need for Christian educators in this field.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Everything about Evangel prepared me for my career and life after graduation. The integration of faith and learning is the way I try to live each day. As a public educator, I attempt to live every day in a way that glorifies and honors God. This is often done in the way that I handle situations and treat others.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Find a mentor in the career path that interests you and be willing to listen.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

Someone who is going to be a lifelong learner and is always seeking ways to improve.