EU Alumni Perspective: Macy Mitchell

Name: Macy Mitchell

Graduation Year: 2005

Major: Psychology

Current Position: Business owner of CrossFit Republic, Form and Fuel Nutrition, and All American-Rental & Sales, Candidate for Missouri State Representative 2020

City and State: Republic, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I am a father of three and husband to a dairy farmer’s daughter that I met at Evangel.  We’ve been together for 18 years now! Currently, I am the chief operations officer of our seven-location family business. I also own the CrossFit Republic fitness facility, with over 500 members and staff of over 60 people.  Recently, the Lord led me to run for political office to become a Missouri State Representative. I have no desire to be a career politician, but in such a pivotal time in our nation’s history, I want to be a public servant and voice for the everyday man and woman, using my real-world business and ministry experience. I’ve always been involved in the community through my participation in and support of local non-profits, churches, schools, and first responders, giving me a ground-level pulse on the needs of the area. I’ve also been a vocal advocate for entrepreneurship.  This adventure has been a natural progression in the plans God has for me and my family.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel? 

I’ll name two experiences, but there are many memories to choose from.  First, I was blessed with winning the national championship in Track (400m dash) and qualifying for the national competition each year of college.  I also found my future wife early into college, so I have extremely fond memories of sharing experiences with her and my lifelong friends, living the dorm life, participating in intramural sports, eating meals in the cafe, sitting in chapel together, and eventually asking her to marry me on Evangel’s campus during our senior year.  Evangel was truly one of the best times of our lives and I hope my kids  have the chance to attend EU one day.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling? 

I grew up in the church and never really questioned my beliefs until college.  Evangel challenged me to do this through my bible classes, and in turn, gave me an incredibly strong foundation of faith to build on and bring into the real world.  I’ve been able to not only to keep my faith strong, but to use my faith to positively influence my businesses, my family, and others around me for His glory.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

My experience at EU gave me the tools I needed to have daily consistency in my faith and showed me the need to love the least among us. This was always a desire of my heart, but the development in my faith I received at EU emboldened me to not just talk about issues, problems, and needs, but to help solve them.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Get out immediately into the current workforce of the field you want to pursue with an internship, shadowing opportunity, or a job.  Leave your books, homework, and assumptions at home, and let the real world teach you what you truly need to study and what you’re truly interested in.  Once you’ve seen what skills and abilities you need to live out your passion (that your books don’t always tell you) then you’ll be able to decide where to harness your energy in your studies and what classes you should take to enhance your calling.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

Consistency in everything you do. It doesn’t sound glamorous. As someone who hires people regularly, it’s the one thing that distinguishes the best employee from the worst employee. Consistency is how you get to the top. Do the work, day in and day out.  Pay your dues, showing your dedication.  It’s what makes winners.  It’s what separates the successful and the unsuccessful. Outside of consistency, a good work ethic and a positive attitude go hand-in-hand with success.  Combine these qualities and you can do anything you want in life.