EU Alumni Perspective: Rebecca Mann

Name: Rebecca Mann

Graduation Year: 2003

Major: Bachelor of Business Administration (Marketing, Management and Spanish Majors), Minor in International Business

Current Position: Global Head of Enterprise Partnerships Commercial Development

City and State: San Juan Capistrano, California

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I started looking for a job during my last semester at Evangel. I wanted to work for a global, publicly traded company that was doing something important for people. My career started two weeks after my Evangel graduation in 2003.  It was an entry-level position helping the digital department measure customer behavior. I never would have predicted that 17 years later, I would be leading the same company’s long-term growth efforts by leading sales of global cross-border money movement services to third parties.

I sometimes get asked, “Why have you stayed at one company for so long?”  The truth is, I have had so much fun, worked on so many challenging endeavors, traveled to 25 countries around the world, and formed lifetime relationships with amazing people who also want to make a difference. I’ve had the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people in the world, including some great folks from Amazon I got to develop and launch a new service with. I have had the most amazing opportunities and adventures.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

Back in my Evangel days, the only Starbucks in town was way down the highway on Battlefield Road in what used to be an Albertson’s supermarket.  A bunch of us (you know who you are!) would always drive all the way down there to get giant iced lattes to fuel up before every three-hour evening Business Law class. This is my favorite memory… something about the combination of gearing up for a challenging class, the comradery, caffeine, and so much laughter.  But a close second place memory is all the fun times with the incredible ladies from my floor (shoutout to L4N – Lewis 4th Floor North side – is that building still there?).  Love all you powerful women!

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

The thing I love most about Evangel is that it has its foundation on the principle that God calls His people into all different career paths and vocations – and it’s actually His design that followers of Jesus would take their place and shine a light in every professional field.  I have always been called to business, but I’ve also always known that it’s not just a job I’m doing – I’m following God’s plan for my life.

Evangel is a great place to pursue both aspects of life together– our faith and our profession.  Let us remember that only one of the 40 signs and wonders in the book of Acts happened in a religious venue; the rest were out in the marketplace. The lost are not in the Church, they’re in the world (see Mark 2:17)!  Integrating faith and career is important for anyone figuring out their calling.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

The most important thing I learned in my time at Evangel was how to learn.  And I don’t just mean how to learn business skills and subjects and academic disciplines (although that is all important). I also mean how to learn to be brave, to bounce back after setbacks, to rely on the Lord and not stress, and to love others even if they don’t deserve it. I’ve realized that it’s not our skills that matter most, but our ability to be humble and see that we might not always be the one with the skills. We need to be open to learning something new from others.  I am so grateful for amazing professors like Bernie Dana who taught us more than book knowledge – but taught us secrets on how to learn to lead others.  If you can truly learn how to learn at Evangel, you will be well prepared for life… the learning never stops!

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Be 100% you.  Figure out what you have that no one else in the world has.  Believe that you were made for a purpose that no one else can achieve, because they’re not you.  Don’t compare yourself with others – others who are called to something else.  Stay in your lane, and don’t get distracted by the pace and achievements of peers.  Take it a day at a time and do your work as unto the Lord.  Don’t forget – God has a plan for you, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope (Jer. 29:11).  He is working all things together for your good (Rom. 8:28). Build your life on the foundation of rock and not on sand (Matt. 7:24) and when the storms come, your house will be stable and at peace. Don’t be afraid of mistakes – His grace is sufficient (2 Cor. 12:9)!  Be still and know that HE is God (Psalm 46:10).  EVERYTHING is possible with God (Matt. 19:26).

Here is the greatest secret of my career: all wisdom, favor, understanding, and revelation comes from Him.  Some of my greatest professional breakthroughs came during times of prayer or seeking His face.  Heaven has the answer to every problem.  Seek Him first, and everything else will be added!

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

I’ve already shared that I believe willingness and ability to learn is a key success factor for any graduate.  Beyond that, when I’m hiring someone, I look for the fire in their eyes.  Are they passionate about the role?  Are they excited about the work?  Do they get energized talking about it?  Do they come alive talking about the possibilities?  I firmly believe that if we are do all things as unto God (Col. 3:23), our passion, excitement, and energy will be on display in our workplaces.  The world needs hope, life, joy, peace, and truth. Let your light shine!