EU Faculty Spotlight: Courtney Hayes

Name: Courtney Hayes
Current Position: Attorney – AG Financial; Adjunct Professor – EU
Courses Taught: Business Law II
Hometown: Eldon, MO
Degrees and Grad Year:
Business Administration and Accounting – 1999 (William Jewell College)
Juris Doctorate – University of Missouri- 2002
LLM Taxation – 2004 University of Missouri – Kansas City

Tell us about your career and what you do now.
I serve as Corporate In-House Counsel for AG Financial. I have served as in- house counsel for 15 years. For the last 14 years, I have taught Business Law II as an adjunct professor through Evangel’s Business Department. I am currently in Leadership Springfield Class 37. I am President-Elect for the Junior League of Springfield. I serve on the boards of I Pour Life, Inc., Isabel’s House and The Junior League. I am a member of the Missouri Bar, Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association and Southern Missouri Women Lawyers. I serve as a mentor for Victory Mission’s Jobs for Life program. I attend James River Church.

What is your favorite memory as faculty?
My favorite memory is the first email I received from a graduate telling me they used skills and information from my class in their “real –life” job! It was the first time I realized I got to be a little part of the students’ futures. After 14 years, I have several of these emails. I keep them and treasure them all!

How do you help your students identify/develop their calling?
I encourage them to participate in class projects and out of class opportunities that are outside their comfort zones. It is amazing to see their hidden talents shine through.

How do you try to prepare them for life after graduation?
I always reserve a part of each semester for life topics learning. Since Business Law II is required by all business students, the majority of them do not plan on going on to law school. With that in mind, I pull about 3-4 major topics that everyone needs to know after graduation. Some topics we learn include, how to get a loan for a car, house, etc., suretyships and general will, trust, and estate information. We study both sides so they are equipped whether they are the ones seeking the loan or they are employed by the bank issuing the loan.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?
One of my favorite things about having the opportunity to teach college students is their passion for their future. I encourage them to seek their dreams. If they want to work in a certain industry or a certain corporation or start their own business, I am their biggest fan. You never feel as invincible as you do when you are young, so I will support and do anything I can to help students reach their dreams.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates?
Integrity, loyalty, good communication skills, passion, good character, and a well-rounded resume including good academic achievements and community involvement.