EU Alumni Perspective: Brandon Moore

Name: Brandon Moore

Graduation Year: 2020

Major: Educational Leadership

Current Position: 2nd Grade Teacher

City and State: Springfield, Missouri

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I am currently a 2nd grade teacher for Springfield Public Schools. I serve on the Curriculum Development Council (CDC) for the district, the Site Professional Learning Systems (SPLS) committee for my building, and I serve as the Building Representative for Springfield-National Educators Association (SNEA).

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

My favorite memories from Evangel were anytime I was able to make an in-person visit. My program was online so I loved any opportunity I had to visit the beautiful campus. My favorite visit was when I was invited to record a segment for virtual graduation.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

The faculty in my program helped me realize that I have the capacity to be a leader in my classroom and in a school building.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

By completing my administrative internship and relevant course work, I feel prepared to be a school principal one day. Through the educational leadership program, I was able to see my building administrator from a new perspective and gain insight on what it really means to be a building leader.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Take every opportunity that your program has to offer, but remember to take care of yourself and your mental health.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

I would feel extremely confident in hiring an Evangel graduate, especially from the Education Department. I know that the department strives for excellence and prepares its students for their careers. I would look for the leadership and innovation in candidates that I know Dr. Crawford and the rest of the department are instilling in their students. I would also look for candidates that understand how to use their boundaries between work and school. You can’t pour from an empty cup so it is important to know when to take care of yourself.