EU Alumni Perspective: Cheryl (Minsky) Matejka

Name: Cheryl (Minsky) Matejka

Graduation Year: 1986

Major: Accounting

Current Position: Chief Financial Officer for Mercy Health

City and State: St. Louis, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.  

I’ve spent most of my career on the provider side of health care – an amazing industry and so critical to solving issues across our nation. Today, I provide strategic oversight of the finances and related functions for a large faith-based health care system.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel? 

The uniqueness of attending class in the barracks, the variety of activities to participate in, my first two years on L4N (and brother floor L4S) and meeting dear friends and professors who are still in my life today.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

Through professors, chapel, class content and other activities EU helped me to see that I was still called (and able!) to minister as part of my position even in a secular field. I was especially grateful for the real life examples of how to live out my faith from several of my professors.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?  Courses helped me develop strong skills to succeed and understand life in the world of finance and accounting. My time at Evangel gave me great perspective about life as a Christ follower and how to continue growing as a Christian as I pursued a career. The network of friends I made have been invaluable in providing support as I navigated challenges along the way.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Take advantage of the multitude of spiritual strengthening opportunities that EU offers – formal and informal. Your relationship with God is what gives you strength. Take more communications courses than your degree plan requires of you. Communication in all forms is critical in every profession. Look for internship opportunities that expose you to a variety of experiences.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel? 

Well-rounded individuals who are willing to work hard, have self-confidence, have exposed themselves to a multitude of opportunities, and are always willing to learn. Good communication skills as I noted above are always important.