be_ixf;ym_202404 d_22; ct_50

EU Alumni Perspective: Dr. Todd Kraft

Name: Dr. Todd Kraft               

Graduation Year: 1990

Major: Journalism & Education

Current Position: Retired Principal

City and State: Troy, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I spent 30 years teaching and serving as an administrator in the Missouri public education system. My last 17 years were in the Wentzville School District where I was a principal in the elementary school setting. During my time in Wentzville, the district was the fastest growing school district in the state of Missouri. Serving in the Wentzville School District was a wonderful experience! It is unbelievable how quickly 30 years can pass! I retired in July of 2020, and I am now assisting the district in an administrative capacity part-time. I also wrote and published a children’s book entitled, Wild Thing!

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

My favorite memories center around life in Lewis Hall! Lewis was where I met so many of the friends who I would build great relationships with over the years. Building great friendships at Evangel was like dominoes falling—friendships at Lewis led to friendships at Burgess, which led to friendships at Scott…and so on. At Evangel, you could meet people in the library or cafeteria and then become great friends for years to come. My favorite memories are hanging out with friends on a daily basis.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

Evangel helped me identify my calling by providing a wide variety of academic and extra-curricular experiences. I had the opportunity to write sports stories for the Lance, develop black and white photography in the lab, take piano lessons in the music department, student teach in local classrooms, participate in intramural sports, analyze and discuss the Old and New Testament, and I could go on and on. Each experience helped me learn about time management, organization, persistence, collaboration, patience, creativity, relationship development, leadership, kindness, and more. Most importantly, each experience is helping me fulfill God’s purpose for my life.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Like most seasons in life, there were times at Evangel that were challenging and times when I experienced success. Thankfully, at Evangel, there were friends, teachers, administrators, and RDs, who provided wise counsel, guidance, kindness, motivation, knowledge, and empathy throughout those years of my life. I am grateful there were people in my life who helped me learn and grow and pointed me in the right direction when needed. My experiences at Evangel set me up for success in the future.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

I would encourage students to take in experiences that may be outside of their educational plan. For example, learn to speak Spanish, or learn to play the piano, or learn how social media is impacting your career choice. Every experience helps you to relate to people you will meet in the future. I would also encourage current students to prepare themselves for a variety of interview processes. During an interview, it is important to not only speak to the specific skill set your career requires but also be able to speak to the part culture plays in the work environment. On a side note, I would also encourage students to get actively involved in a local church while at Evangel. Attending Central Assembly and being a youth sponsor was a fabulous experience for me! And, you never know who you may meet. Dr. Rakes and Darla were the Youth Pastors at Central Assembly during that time!