EU Alumni Perspective: Ethan and Lauren Grumke

Name: Ethan Grumke and Lauren McMunn Grumke

Graduation Year: Ethan: 2017 (undergraduate), 2021 (graduate) |Lauren: 2017

Major: Ethan: 2017 (B.S. in Math Education), 2021 (M.Ed. in Educational Leadership) | Lauren: Secondary Social Science

Current Position: Ethan: Oak Grove High School Math Teacher/Assistant Varsity Football Coach/Head Boys and Girls Varsity Track and Field Coach | Lauren: High School Social Studies Teacher 

City and State: Oak Grove, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

Ethan:

I will be moving to the beautiful state of Colorado! I have accepted a High School Math teaching position as well as the Head High School Football Coach position at Bayfield High School located in Bayfield, Colorado. I am extremely excited to further my experience in the education and coaching field. I am extremely blessed, and none on this would have happened if Evangel didn’t help shape me into the individual I am today.

Currently, I am a high school math teacher at Oak Grove High School in Missouri. I teach different levels of math from Algebra to College Math. I have been a coach alongside teaching ever since I started my education career. I started at Raytown High School coaching on the defensive side of the ball. After that, I moved to Oak Grove, and I have been the Defensive Backs coach ever since. I have been involved in Track and Field programs as well. Currently, I am the Head Track and Field Coach at Oak Grove. I have been placed in wonderful positions of leadership and opportunity. I live daily to be the role model and helper to high schoolers. It has been a wonderful and rewarding experience in the Education and Coaching field ever since I graduated from Evangel University.

Lauren:

I teach high school social studies and coach track.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

Ethan:

There are too many to count! If I had to pick, it would be the time I spent on L1S (Lewis 1st Floor) with my best friends to this day. The people of Evangel are who made the biggest impact on me and the best memories I have during my time at the school.

Lauren:

Building lasting friendships!

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

Ethan:

I have always been good at math, and I enjoyed teaching! I actually taught swim lessons to young kids as a lifeguard in high school. I think that planted the teaching seed in me. Being an athlete, it drove me to want to be coach. When I got to Evangel, I was given the opportunity to play football. There were 3 coaches there that made me who I am today. In fact, I don’t think I would be where I am at without those 3 individuals.

The Education Department was a wonderful department when I was there, and I am sure that has not changed! I was a Math Education major, so my time was split between the Sci-Tech department and the Education department. I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but there were specific professors that I had in both of those departments who really watered and nurtured the education seed that was planted in my calling back when I was teaching swim lessons. There are many people I could not thank enough for shaping me who I am today!

Lauren:

Evangel gave me the education I needed to be a good social studies teacher.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Ethan:

It was the relationships I formed with others that prepared me for the tasks given to me to this day. While the education is important, and the sport I played at Evangel was some of the most fun I have ever had, it was the people in those areas that really shaped and prepared me for my path. I learned how to be a great communicator and relator for others. Those relationships formed showed me what life is about, and I have taken that concept and dedicated my life to relationships first and the material of this world second.

Lauren:

Being in a loving environment away from home, gave me the security and space I needed to grow into myself and truly become my own person in every way.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Ethan:

Invest in others while you are at Evangel. Don’t just invest in your friends, but the leaders and professors you are with daily. Learn to be a team player and hard worker. Learn to be a great communicator. Learn to be a servant to others and help others when in need. Notice, I didn’t say anything about your homework. While doing your homework and passing your tests is ESSENTIAL, the relationships you have the opportunity to form while at Evangel will not only be long lasting, but also beneficial in how you communicate and work with others around you in your daily life. Even if your beliefs are different from someone else’s. Be a good servant and lovers of ALL people and you will never fail at what you set your mind to!

Lauren:

Don’t just assume you’ll learn everything you need in college. Experience is the best teacher.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

Ethan:

In my area of expertise and career field (and it can and does go with many others), I look for people who are putting people first. People that not only care about what they do, but also care deeply for the people they are surrounded by. While your expertise in a position is essential to a job, what can set you apart from many others is how you hold yourself and help others around you. That is something this world needs much more of!

Lauren:

I would want to see hands on experience, not just good grades in a class. Show me you’ve done the job before.