EU Alumni Perspective: Heather (Anderson) Rieter

Name: Heather (Anderson) Reiter

Graduation Year: May 2005

Major: Electronic Media – Minor in Advertising/Marketing

Current Position: Producing Branch Manager at Cardinal Financial

City and State: Springfield, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I recently transferred to a new company where I am a Producing Branch Manager. I will be overseeing loan consultants across the country while I continue helping people obtain mortgage loans. The last 13 years I’ve helped almost 1000 people purchase a home. Purchasing a home is most people’s largest transaction of their life, so to keep it a smooth, happy and exciting transaction takes a lot of work.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

One of my favorite memories is when our Volleyball Team beat Drury, SBU, & C of O my Senior Year. They called us the SW Queens of the Court. It was a fun time to play & win and it has been awesome to watch the Volleyball program continue to grow and be better year after year.

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

I took a Senior Advertising/Marketing Class and used the job I found during the summer (doing search engine optimization) as part of my class content. That summer job (and class) introduced me to David Lurvey, who I still work with 19 years later, just in a slightly different scope of mortgage loans. So, when you hear someone say it’s about who you know and growing your network, they are right. If it wasn’t for that summer job OR that class, I don’t know if our paths would have crossed.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

I felt like I had a great mix of professors/advisors and extracurricular activities I could participate in. I was confident in being able to problem solve and speak in front of small OR large groups of people.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Get involved! You can only learn so much from a class. Join a committee OR a group but do something besides just sit in a classroom. The more you do, the more you will learn, and the more people you get to know.

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

I would want to see new graduates with jobs, internships OR had extracurricular activities they participated in while they attended school. That would show me he/she knew how to manage their schedule, and hopefully got them socializing with people outside their inner circle. If you worked at a job that you were told “No” at a lot…I’d probably move your resume right to the top!