EU Alumni Perspective: Wesley Arnold

Name: Wesley Arnold

Graduation Year: 1999

Major: Communications/Broadcasting/Physical Education

Current Position: Chicago Sales Representative

City and State: West Chicago, IL

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I work for 1st Choice Equipment. We are one of the most successful construction equipment dealers in Chicagoland. I sell heavy equipment to companies that need to get in the ground. We are owned by Ditch Witch Midwest, the Harbaugh’s (Great Christian Family). God has blessed me although I have changed careers on multiple occasions. He has opened huge doors and has given me huge success in what I do. I have been the companies #1 salesman five years in a row! That is a God thing. Proverbs 16:3: “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.”

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

Krause hall antics. I loved my floor, K2N. We always had something dumb going on. The best part was that it was all clean fun. One year, we had floor sweatshirts made, complete with names on them. We had one guy with the nickname Champ 23, and someone changed it to Chump 23!!!

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

Physical Education was my true passion. The education classes and coaches teaching them set me up for success. I started teaching in private schools early on which lead to being promoted to Athletic Director. I actually got my best teaching job because I was a former Crusader. The level of excellence from the football field to the classrooms set the bar high. Examples include Coach Linn, Coach Metcalf, Coach Bowen, Coach Estay.

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Since I was far from home, Evangel prepared me to be on my own. It helped me gain responsibility and provided me the confidence I needed to hit the real world. Don’t get me wrong, real life is completely different – however, I felt confident getting out there.

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Know how to manage your money. If you don’t, it will manage you! Debt is the last thing you want to work for in life. The number one thing… keeping God close in all decisions!

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

People skills. Anyone can be book smart… but if you don’t know how to work with people, you will have a hard time in our business.