be_ixf;ym_202403 d_28; ct_50

EU Alumnus Perspective: Mark Lawley

Name: Mark Lawley

Graduation Year: 1985

Major: Music Education

Current Position: Choral Director at Greenwood Laboratory School (which is part of the College of Education at Missouri State University)

City and State: Springfield, MO

Tell us about your career and what you do now.

I have been a music teacher for 38 years! I am currently the choral director at Greenwood Laboratory School which is a branch of the College of Education at Missouri State University. I’ve taught all levels from K – University in both choral and instrumental music.

What is your favorite memory from Evangel?

There are too many to name one as THE favorite! But one favorite memory is being a part of choir, orchestra, band and theatre with such passionate professors that incorporated Evangel’s theme of “All truth is God’s truth, wherever it is found.” My world view exploded at EU!

How did Evangel help you identify/develop your calling?

I found out through required practicums that the local public schools held EU in high regard in terms of preparing future educators. It felt so good each time a teacher would ask me, “Now what university are you from?” When I replied EU, there seem to be a positive and affirming nod. My lifelong dream, since first grade was to become an educator and the education and music faculty prepared me so very well to realize that dream!

How did your experience at Evangel prepare you for life after graduation?

Well, I knew who I was, and what I was on Earth to do. I was excitedly aware of my mission! The professors in all my required course work had high expectations as did the schools who hired me. I felt confident to do a good job in the same way my professors did!

What advice would you give a current student preparing for the workforce?

Accept the rigor of your professors’ demands. Meet the deadlines, do the best job you can! Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might!

What would you look for if you were in a position to hire new graduates from Evangel?

A positive, hardworking, and kind person who is ready to communicate well while contributing to a healthy sense of community! My specific area is music, so I would be looking for high aptitude in music reading skills, piano skills, singing skills, and the ability to connect with students and staff in a positive manner.