EU Faculty Perspective: Dr. Lisa Street

Name:  Dr. Lisa Street, LCSW

Current Position: Assistant Professor & Coordinator of SWK Field Education

Years at EU: 7

Courses Taught: Social Work Practice with Individuals, Families & Treatment Groups; Social Policy; Social Work Practicum; and Introduction to Sociology

Hometown: Lebanon, MO

Degrees and Grad Year: 

Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, University of Missouri-Columbia (2016)

Master of Social Work (MSW), University of Missouri-Columbia (1997)

Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) summa cum laude, University of Missouri-Columbia (1996)

How do you help your students identify/develop their calling and prepare them for life after graduation?

My role has been to prepare and oversee social work students as they participate in a 450-hour, community-based practicum during their senior year. During the yearlong practicum, I guide and mentor students as they take the beginning steps in their social work careers and transition from backpacks to briefcases. I provide emotional support as students face the challenges of real-world social work practice for the first time. I am also a model for integrating faith and social work practice and using our faith for both guidance in our professional behaviors and solace for dealing with the hardships we observe in social work.

Tell us about your love for research and articles published.

I enjoy conducting research that has direct usefulness for social work practitioners and educators. My research and publications have focused on social work education such as supervising high-quality student internships, teaching innovations in social policy, and helping students with faith integration in social work practicum. Publications include the Journal of Social Work Education, Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, Social Work & Christianity, Journal of Policy Practice and Research, and Field Educator. 

Share about your current research award.

It’s the 2021 Field Educator Prize for Excellence in Field Education Scholarship for the article “Field Instructors as Professional Gatekeepers: A Qualitative Study of Gatekeeping Influences” published in December 2021. The Simmons School of Social Work and the Field Educator sponsor an annual award of $500 to promote excellence in field education scholarship. One paper wins each year, and I was announced the winner at the latest Annual Program Meeting of the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Share about your upcoming new role as the Social Work Program Director

EU’s Social Work Program has a stellar reputation in the Springfield community and beyond because of our alumni’s excellence in the field post-graduation. I am honored to assume the director position. I’ve been at EU for seven years, administering social work’s field education program where I have thoroughly enjoyed working with practitioners and social service agencies to support students during their first experiences in the real world of social work practice. It’s exciting to expand my role to leadership over the entire program and curriculum.